Friday, September 02, 2005

Too little, too late

"I stood and watched my daddy die
No one could help his plight
He was trying to save our home
On the day that the river rose
Well, it came alive
I heard them say
and there was nothing we could do
as he washed away"


I'm not sure how this post will turn out. I had written most of it when the most horrific events were happening in New Orleans, and I couldn't finish it. I don't handle disasters well. I was emotionally wrecked for September 11th. It was an event that although I was not at all involved, I lived so far away and I really had no connection to it, it affected me deeply. The horrors of Hurricane Katrina has had the same effect. I try to put myself in their shoes and I can't. I try to imagine how I would survive, what I would do if I had children to care for during it and it's impossible to know what you would do yourself. I despise looters but yet I cannot guarantee you that I would not loot for clean water and food for my kids (if I had them)It makes me sick to my stomach to see them hauling off with 7 boxes of Nike shoes, cases and cases of beer, stereos....Their pictures are all on national news shows, splashed across the internet. I hope that after everyone is rescued and they start investigating how this all happened, I hope they track down these people and make them each work at least 1000 hrs of community service. Give them the choice between that or jail time.

As for the government and administration I won't dignify them (or people that feel the need to drag people down with their comments) with my opinion on the relief effort. People far more eloquent than me have said it better and their opinions very closely match mine (check out Dooce, Blurbomat, Suburban Bliss. People that know me well know my position on this matter.

My thoughts are with those devastated by this disaster.

This will be the only post on this matter, enough has already been said.

No comments: